June 18 -- Pax Christi International (PXI) held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) earlier this month in Berlin, Germany. The event was attended by representatives of the Pax Christi sections and the International Secretariat; the Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns (MOGC) is a member of PXI. Pax Christi Germany hosted the event.
The 2013 AGM was dedicated to the renewal of the international leadership structures for the timeframe 2013-2016. Strengthening the Pax Christi International movement through knowledge-sharing and coordination planning around core issues pertaining to its mission, was also on the agenda.
Marie Dennis, former director of the MOGC, and Bishop Kevin Dowling of South Africa were re-elected as international co-presidents of PXI for 2013-2016. Fr Jan Peters SJ (Netherlands) was re-elected as international treasurer.
The newly elected International Board of Pax Christi International 2013-2016 consists of:
- Mustafa Ali (Kenya), Global Network of Religions for Children
- Sr. Filo Hirota (Japan), Mercedarian Missionaries of Berriz
- Wiltrud Rosch-Metzler (Germany), Pax Christi Germany
- Fr. Neles Tebay (West Papua), Fajar Timur School of Philosophy and Theology
- Antal Balog (Croatia), Evangelical Theological Seminary
- Cristiana Calabrese (Italy), Pax Christi Italy
- Ann Farr (United Kingdom), Pax Christi United Kingdom
- Carmen Artigas (Uruguay), United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Rania Murra (Palestine), Educational Arab Institute
The 2013 AGM included sessions on the economic roots of conflict, drones and automated war systems, the current situation in Syria, and other issues of common concern. Participants also received input and shared experience on campaigning, advocacy and networking.
The next Pax Christi International AGM will be held in Sarajevo in June 2014.