The following are additional resources on nuclear disarmament, which correspond to our two-page election brief on nuclear disarmament, "Abolish Nuclear Weapons, Invest in Peace." Find our entire series on Faithful Voting and Global Issues here.
See: An Existential Threat
From I-CAN, the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons:
- Booklet: Let’s Be Realists: Eleven answers to common comments and questions about nuclear weapons
- Briefing Note: “The Catholic Church and the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons”
From the Arms Control Association, "Congress Should Take the Nuclear Testing Option Off the Table"
Judge: Catholic Teaching on Nuclear Weapons
From the Vatican:
St. John XXIII: Pacem in Terris (1963)
- Message to United Nations Conference to Negotiate Nuclear Ban Treaty (2017)
- Address to Vatican symposium on a world free of nuclear weapons and for integral disarmament (2017)
- Hiroshima address (2019)
- Nagasaki address (2019)
From the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops:
- Two-pager: Backgrounder on Nuclear Disarmament and Challenging Increases in Military Spending (2020)
Act: Faithful Citizenship
From Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns:
• Action Alert: Renew New START
• Statement: Maryknoll Missioners oppose leaving Iran nuclear deal
Join Reaching Critical Will and Hibakusha Stories for a watch party “to underscore the power of protest”: Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7 p.m. EDT: A free livestream screening: In Our Hands, Robert Richter’s film documenting the day over 1 million people marched for nuclear disarmament.
Learn about the Plowshares movement and support Catholic anti-nukes activists the Kingsbay Plowshares.