National Week of Action to Close Guantanamo
Join the National Week of Action to Close Guantanamo!
January 6 – 14
Washington, D.C. and various cities across the United States
(Find a list of locations at http://www.nrcat.org/post-911-detainees/close-guantanamo/january-11-2018)
Organized by the National Religious Campaign Against Torture:
Stand in solidarity with those who are held without trial and demand that Guantanamo be closed by organizing a vigil, prayer service or educational event in your congregation or community.
We encourage you to hold an event during the week (Jan. 6 – 14) of January 11, 2018, the 16th anniversary of the opening of the detention center at Guantanamo Bay. The 11th itself, or the weekend before or after would be ideal times to host an event.
Guantanamo Bay is a symbol of our nation's use of torture, and even today, most of the 41 people still held there have never received a trial or been charged with any crime more than a decade after they were first imprisoned. Unfortunately, President Trump has said he plans to send even more people to be held without trial in Guantanamo. If he does, it may make it impossible to ever close the prison at Guantanamo. We must raise an outcry against this immoral plan and tell the President and Congress, close Guantanamo now!
- "Close Guantanamo" banners are available at a reduced rate or free of charge for congregation's planning events in January 2018. Contact T.C. at 202-547-1920 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in acquiring a banner from NRCAT.
- Use the video "The Case Against Torture" for an educational event - download the Discussion Guide.
- Use NRCAT’s bulletin insert or litany during a worship service or vigil.
- Use NRCAT's Close Guantanamo Sermon Talking Points.
- Use NRCAT's Guantanamo Fact Sheet.
- Collect signatures on this Petition to Secretary of Defense Mattis
- Use this sample letter for individual or congregational/organizational letters to Secretary Mattis
- Distribute orange ribbon pins to wear in solidarity with those in Guantanamo
- Poster (coming soon)